Teacher grants enhance the education of students in the Harrisonville School District by encouraging and recognizing new educational approaches and concepts that are not currently funded by the district. The grants provide funding for classroom materials which make these innovative instructional techniques possible. Teacher grants cannot request funding for technology. All technology requests to the Foundation will come through the district's technology department. Teacher grants are presented twice each year.
Recent Grant Recipients
Teachers and students in the Harrisonville School District recently received more than $4600 in grants from the Harrisonville Public School Foundation.
Throughout the 14 years of the teacher grant program, more than $85,000 has been presented to teachers. The goal of the program is to enhance the education of Harrisonville students by encouraging and recognizing new educational approaches and concepts that are not currently funded by the district.
The grants were awarded in a surprise squad format with Foundation trustees surprising the teachers in their classrooms and presenting them with a check.
Teacher grants were awarded to the following:
- Marshall Streit, Cass Career Center ag instructor for a meat processing lab to enhance learning in the areas of meat quality, cuts of meat and product use. This grant was funded through the Cade Filer Teacher Grant endowment.
- Chandra Kelly, Cass Career Center criminal justice/CSI instructor for Missouri Criminal Code handbooks which will be used in conjunction with practical exercise to increase practice in criminal procedures.
- Angie Diggs, Cass Career Center health sciences instructor for equipment including an automatic wrist blood pressure cuff and an oxygen saturation monitor.
- Wendy Courter, McEowen Elementary math teacher, for digiblocks - tools that provide a hands-on way for students to conceptualize place value. A portion of this teacher grant was funded through the Velma Stephens Teacher Grant endowment.
- Rebecca Reeser, speech language pathologist for varied level reading materials to help elementary and middle school students reading at a lower level build a deeper understanding of language and reading comprehension through individualized instruction.
Cade Filer Teacher Grant
One grant in the amount of $500 will be awarded during each grant period (fall and spring). The grant will be restricted to equipment/resources that can be used year after year instead of disposable or one-time uses. This grant is funded through an endowment from family and friends in the memory of Cade Filer.
Spring 2008 Recipient
Nancy Cummings, Harrisonville Elementary School, 2nd Grade
Fall 2008 Recipient
Kim Redinger, Jason Vaughn, Lindsey Weisz and Zach Sherman, HMS
Spring 2009 Recipient
Heather Caldwell, Harrisonville Early Childhood Center, Kindergarten
Fall 2009 Recipient
Brenda Foerschler, Harrisonville Elementary School, Title I Math
Spring 2010 Recipient
Preschool teachers, Harrisonville Early Childhood Center
Fall 2010 Recipient
April Schoenberg, Harrisonville Elementary School
No grant awarded
Fall 2011 Recipient
Tonya Ours & Darla Six, McEowen Elementary School
Spring 2013 Recipient
Curtis Clark, Harrisonville Middle School
Fall 2013 Recipients
Amelia Selsor, Harrisonville Elementary School
Emily Terwilliger, Harrisonville High School
Spring 2014 RecipientJodi Fischer, Harrisonville Early Childhood CenterSpring 2015 Recipient
Ann Hammonds, Harrisonville Elementary SchoolFall 2015 RecipientPam Long, Harrisonville Middle SchoolSpring 2016 RecipientDarla Six, McEowen Elementary SchoolFall 2016 RecipientJenny Wickstrom, HHSSpring 2017 RecipientBrian Graber, Harrisonville Elementary SchoolFall 2017 RecipientMarshall Streit, Cass Career Center
Velma Stephens Elementary Teacher Grant
One grant in the amount of $500 will be awarded each year. The grant will be restricted to a grant to benefit an elementary school. This grant is funded through an endowment from family and friends in the memory of Velma Stephens.Fall 2015
Rebecca Reeser, McEowen Elementary SchoolFall 2016 RecipientMissy Eddleman, McEowen Elementary SchoolFall 2017 RecipientWendy Courter, McEowen Elementary School