Bright Futures My 42 Service Award
Bright Futures is an important program in our community. At McEowen Elementary, we strive to involve students and staff in the My42 Challenge. The Bright Futures My42 Service Award is an opportunity for fifth grade students to help others and make a difference in their world by giving their time, talent, or treasure. To earn the award, the students need to participate in all five Service Projects during the school year. Students need to pay close attention to how they need to do the project so their participation is documented with me. For the fund raising projects, there is no minimum donation required. Any student completing the My 42 Service Award requirements will receive special recognition at our Last Day of School Assembly. The projects we will do this year are listed below:
- 1. Participate in 3 district/school-wide fundraising campaigns
- Anytime before May 4, 2017
- Examples include: Food drives, Bright Future Barrel Project, BoxTops, Pop tabs...etc.
- 2. Participate and remain in good standing with a 5th Grade Job
- All year, final evaluation will be around May 4, 2018
- 3. Children’s Mercy Math-a-thon
- January 8-19, 2017
- Mrs. Eddleman and Mr. Chandler will be sending information
- 4. Participate in Red Ribbon Week Poster Contest
- October 23-27, 2017
- Mr. Chandler will be sending information
- 5. Service Learning
- Anytime before May 4th, 2018
- The Service Learning Project challenges students to make a difference in their community or world. Students will determine an issue or cause they care about and find a way to take action and educate others. For example, if a student is interested in world hunger, they could volunteer at the local food bank or help pack weekly Back Snacks. If students are interested in learning about animal abuse, they could volunteer at an animal shelter. If students are concerned about pollution, they could spend time cleaning up our local parks or streets. After students have participated in their service learning project, they need to do a presentation to a group about their experience and what they learned about their cause. This presentation should be around 5 minutes in length and can be a speech, a powerpoint/google slide/prezi, or a tri-fold. If students or parents have any questions or to schedule a Service Learning Presentation time, please contact Mr. Chandler at 816-380-4545 ext 4250.